sexta-feira, março 14, 2008

Got To Get Movin'...

This has to be a quick one today, because I’m heading off to Ghent to see or better hear Gilles Peterson play some records. It was a though choice tonight because Laurent Garnier is in town at Petrol. He’s playing a four hour set tonight. Maybe if Peterson doesn’t take too long, I could pop in at Petrol later on. Who knows?

But for now I present to you: Chrome Hoof. I read an interview with Gilles Peterson in a newspaper and he mentioned this band. I took a quick look on emusic and they’re really ok. Not as groundbreaking as some people wish you to believe, because it basically sounds like King Crimson on disco which is pretty fine by me.

Tonyte

A while ago, I think last week, Tim Sweeney from DFA was in Ghent but I missed it. It was probably pretty swell. Maybe he played some tunes from this new promising DFA act called Hercules & Love Affair. I’ve got the album this week after hearing Blind on the radio. The magazines are full of them with silly promo talk about disco being the new punk. Reminds me a bit of something Frank Zappa once said: Pop journalism is about people who can’t write for people who can’t read about people who can’t play or sing.

Athene
Blind
Hercules’ Theme

Rubies – I Feel Electric Personal favourites of mine at this very moment. I can’t wait to hear that record from the Rubies.

Grace Jones – On Your Knees (remix)
Lipps, Inc. – Designer Music
Parris – Can't Let Go I heard a short podcast recently from Metro Area and they played this song together with, Azoto, 202 Machine and another obscure song I posted a while ago called Skydiver. Their version was credited to Neon but my version says Ben Richardson and they sound just the same. Strange, I have to figure this out.

Dan Hartman – Vertigo / Relight my Fire
Doris Norton – Doris Norton Lab 1981 Italian curiosum
K.I.D. – Don't Stop 1981
Voggue – Roller Boogie 1981
Dub Narcotic Sound System – Ship To Shore
Lopazz – Share My Rhythm
Lopazz – Credit Card Receipt
Patrick Hernandez - Born To Be Alive disco 12 Belgian dancefloor hero. The rumour goes that Madonna used to dance and sing in his band for a short while and that she lived in Belgium back then but it could turn out to be one of those urban legends that are hard to get rid of.

Pain Of Salvation – Disco Queen I started with prog rock and I will end this session with it. I met a very nice person in Bulgaria last summer who was a big fan of Pain of Salvation. I had never heard of the band but I checked them out and what a surprise, the first thing I heard is a song called Disco Queen. Atypical maybe but nevertheless clever prog rock with a steady groove.

Nenhum comentário: